Sunday, January 29, 2023

First Blog Post!

 

Hi everyone! My name is Emma Babiec and I'm taking Geography of Wine so that I can be a little more knowledgeable about wine when I go to corporate dinners or hang out with my family and friends. I've liked that I've already begun to learn more about wine -- the different types, how to store it, decanting, etc from Boyer's lecture. 

As far as my experience with wine goes, I've tried mostly whites and roses. This photo is of me from last April in Lake Como, Italy trying a Pinot Grigio. I studied abroad last spring in Lugano, Switzerland and one of my favorite parts about traveling was trying different drinks or what that country was known for in terms of alcohol. I really liked Belgium, German, and Portuguese beer as well as Italian wine. I learned I didn't love Spanish Sangria even though my friends did. When we visited Milan, I tried a Negroni and absolutely hated it.  Studying abroad opened my horizons a lot and allowed me to try new drinks to see what I liked and what food it went best with.  

I typically stick with a Pinot Grigio or some kind of rose when I buy wines. I like drinking wines to relax -- like a glass or two with friends or right before bed. I think what I'm looking most forward to is trying new wines and recording my thoughts on them. I don't venture out of my comfort zone too much with wine because I don't have the money for it yet, so I typically stick with the cheap stuff. I also put ice in my wine, which I know I'm not supposed to do. 

In terms of this course, I'm looking forward to learning more about which wine pairs best with what food, how to sniff & swirl, and the etiquette of ordering it in a restaurant. I believe that I might start transitioning more into wine after college so having some background knowledge would be really helpful. I also hope to try more red and sparkling wines to get a better sense of my palette. This may be hard though because I haven't fully regained my taste/smell from having COVID a year ago. I can tell if things are sweet, salty, sour, etc but it is harder for me to pick up on distinct tastes. This was really unfortunate when I was abroad because cuisine was something I was really excited to experiment with. 

Anyways, welcome to my wine blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rocking Rose

Name:  Chalkboard Rose Variety:  Rose Region:  France/Vin de France Country:  France Vintage:  2019 Price:  $10 Wine Critic Review: "Sc...