Sunday, March 26, 2023

Savvy Sauvignon Blanc


Name:
 La Playa Sauvignon Blanc

Variety: Sauvignon Blanc

Region: Curico Valley

Country: Chile

Vintage: 2021

Price: $10


Wine Critic Review: "Always eager to explore new wines, we thought we’d try the La Playa Sauvignon Blanc 2020 with our meal of grilled fish tacos. A bargain at just $8.99 from Wine.com, we’d put this up against Sauvingon Blancs at three times that price! The biggest surprise was that we had expected more of a New Zealand style, as most of our Chilean Sauvignon Blanc experiences have been, but La Playa is decidedly NorCal, in our estimation. Pale golden color. Aromas and flavors of fresh tropical fruit; pineapple, mango, and lychee; with citrus, including lime and quince. Soft mouthfeel with medium acidity and a pleasing finish." https://appetiteforwine.blog/2021/02/07/our-wine-of-the-week-la-playa-sauvignon-blanc-2020/


Wine Folly: "
A popular and unmistakable white wine that’s loved for its “green” herbal flavors and racy acidity. Sauvignon Blanc grows nearly everywhere and thus, offers a variety of styles ranging from lean to bountiful. 

PRIMARY FLAVORS:

- Gooseberry
- Honeydew
- Grapefruit
- White peach
- Passion fruit


TASTE PROFILE:

  • Dry
  • Medium-light Body
  • None Tannins
  • High Acidity
  • 11.5–13.5% ABV

HANDLING

  • SERVE
    45–55°F / 7-12°C
  • GLASS TYPE
    White
  • DECANT
    No
  • CELLAR
    3–5 Years

FOOD PAIRING

When in doubt, go green. Sauvignon Blanc makes a wonderful choice with herb-driven sauces over chicken, tofu, or fish dishes. matched with feta or chèvre, or paired with herb-driven asian flavors such as Thai or Vietnamese cuisine."

My Review:
This was my first time trying Sauvignon Blanc so I was very excited. I decided to buy this wine because it was a product of Chile, which I know is known for making "new world" Sauvignon Blancs. I chilled it before I tried it and I thought it had flavors of apple, lemon, and cat pee. I also detected some floral aromas. It seemed dry to me the first day I tried it. But I went back and tried it the next day and it had opened up more to where I got pineapple flavors. Overall, I really enjoyed it and would probably try it again but pair it with an herb-driven dish as recommended by Wine Folly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rocking Rose

Name:  Chalkboard Rose Variety:  Rose Region:  France/Vin de France Country:  France Vintage:  2019 Price:  $10 Wine Critic Review: "Sc...